Texas & Pacific - Gayle Station

Tell us about your T & P memories....your travels, your life along the railway, anything you can recall.
jandl

Texas & Pacific - Gayle Station

Post by jandl »

My wife came across some old photos in a trunk given to her by her mother. One of the photos is of the GAYLE train station. There is a sign on the station that is legible with a magnifying glass that reads as follows.

Texas & Pacific
Railway
Passenger Bulletin
Louisiana Division
Date: 1901 (or 1907)

Also in the picture are a man and a woman posing near the station. The man at least appears to be an employee.

I find no mention of the GAYLE station on your website. Do you have any information on it or where it might have been? I am assuming in Louisiana but have no proof at this time. Thanks for any help or any clues. I think I might try and get a digital image of the photo and post it to the site, but just found you and wanted to ask what you might know of the GAYLE station. Thanks and I look forward to learning more.

Ted
Site Admin

Re: Texas & Pacific - Gayle Station

Post by Ted »

Thanks for sharing this info! I'd never heard of that station before.

It looks like GAYLES (with an 's' on the end), Louisiana, is more-or-less a spot in the road these days. It's in Caddo Parish, just southeast of Shreveport....and judging by the aerial view today, I'd guess Gayles was a flag stop along the line between Shreveport and New Orleans. If you zoom out in the map below, you'll see the railroad right-of-way just to the northeast of the mark on the map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1 ... +louisiana

From what I've been able to gather via Google, the area was named for the family that owned much of the property in that area. I've not run across anything specifically railroad-related but will pass along anything else I find.

Ted