Original Route of the T & P

Tell us about your T & P memories....your travels, your life along the railway, anything you can recall.
RogerH

Original Route of the T & P

Post by RogerH »

I'm researching the original route of the T & P as it extended west of Fort Worth towards El Paso. I have a copy of a map titled "A Geographically Correct Map of The State of Texas" published by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company. The map gives a date of September 1st, 1876.

My question concerns the actual route originally constructed. Does the current Union Pacific rail line follow the original route of the T & P? This 1876 map places the T & P quite a bit further north than the existing UP.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide.

mikadotexas

RE: Original Route of the T & P

Post by mikadotexas »

The UP line as it exists today is much the same as when the T&P built the line. There are of course areas where the line was moved due to conditions such as flooding. Other areas where rerouted to improve the grades. Also keep in mind that many of the original maps were not the most accurate, in some minor cases did not reflect what was actually built and that over time some of the towns themselves were relocated for various reasons. The area around Mingus and Thurber are a good example of many of these changes. These two towns were "company" towns and when the coal market dried up, the one was burned to the ground by the T&P and the track almost completely removed while the other withered from the lack of commerce. THe surviving town was moved slightly south to sit on the new interstate system. Also, Abilene was not the first choice for the T&P, that honor was to go to Buffalo Gap but politics and money changed that (a long ugly story). I am sure that others can provide much more detail than I have, only hope that this helps.

RogerH

Post by RogerH »

[quote="mikadotexas"]The UP line as it exists today is much the same as when the T&P built the line. There are of course areas where the line was moved due to conditions such as flooding. Other areas where rerouted to improve the grades...[/quote]Thanks for the information, that at least confirms that the current line is close to the original. However, the differences between the map I'm looking at and the current UP line are a lot more than minor course corrections. The map I've got has the railroad in entirely different counties. Apparently this map is the proposed line, despite its claim to be based on the most recent surveys?

mikadotexas

Post by mikadotexas »

I am not certain as to your exact location but if you can get over to the UT Arlington Central Library, they have a spectacular collection of original T&P documents and maps. You may be able to find more information regarding the original line vs. the current line and when changes took place. I have found tons of useful stuff there.

RogerH

Post by RogerH »

[quote="mikadotexas"]I am not certain as to your exact location but if you can get over to the UT Arlington Central Library, they have a spectacular collection of original T&P documents and maps. You may be able to find more information regarding the original line vs. the current line and when changes took place. I have found tons of useful stuff there.[/quote]
I'm in Fort Worth, so UTA is not far at all. Actually, I arranged a tour of their map collection a few years ago for our local group of surveyors. We didn't see any railroad maps, but their collection of historic maps is very impressive. That's very helpful information and I will certainly arrange a visit.

Thanks!

cregil

Post by cregil »

From the 1878 timetable
Texarkana to Fort Worth

Texarkana
Texarkana Junction
Sulphur
Alamo
Forest
Queen City
Atlanta
Hoxie's
Kildare
Lodi
Jefferson
Woodlawn
Marshall
Abney's
Hallville
Mason Springs
International Junct'n
Longview
Willow Springs
Gladewater
Neal's
Big Sandy
Hawkins
Lake Fork
Minneola
Silver Lake
Grand Saline
Edgewood
Will's Point (Dinner)
Elmo
Terrell
Lawrence
Forney
Mesquite
Texas Cent'l Cross'g
Dallas
Eagle Ford
Grand Prairie
Arlington
Handley
Fort Worth

From the 1903 timetable:

From El Paso to Fort Worth:
El Paso
Sierra Blanca
Arispe
Eagle Flat
Allamore
Wild Horse
Plateau
Boracho
Kent
San Martine
Gomez
Toyah
Hermosa
Pecos
Barstow
Quito
Pyote
Monahans
Sand Hills
Metz
Douro
Odessa
Warfield
Midland
Germania
Stanton
Morita
Big Springs
Iatan
Westbrook
Colorado
Loraine
Roscoe
Sweetwater
Eskota
Trent
Merkel
Tebo
Abilene
Elmdale
Clyde
Baird
Putnam
Delmar
Cisco
Eastland
Ranger
Canyon
Strawn
Thurber Junction
Gordon
Santo
Brazos
Millsap
Lambert
Weatherford
Earl's
Aledo
Iona
Benbrook
Fort Worth

That help?

Crewws

TandPHoghead

Post by TandPHoghead »

There are alot of stations on this route from the late 1800's and early 1900's that I reconize as being stations of today. As a kid of 11 or 12 years old I use to ride out to ElPaso from Alexandria, LA to visit my grandmother and aunt. Although there may be some deviations along the route it is pretty much the same today.