Riding the railroad from Abilene, 1

Tell us about your T & P memories....your travels, your life along the railway, anything you can recall.
william5419

Riding the railroad from Abilene, 1958

Post by william5419 »

Hi there:

Can any of you help me out?

In the Classic Trains Magazine, Summer 2008 issue,
the magazine features the Pullman sleepers.

Back in 1958. I was very young at 4 years of age. My mother took us back to San Diego from Abilene, TX, by train. We visited my grandparents in Abilene in the summer of 1958.

Although I found out that there was a Sunset Limited in 1958, before Amtrak was born, was there a passenger railroad line that served Abilene and El Paso at that time?

It was a daytime train before it pulled into El Paso at night. We boarded a Pullman sleeper in El Paso for the trip to Los Angeles.

After the train arrived in Los Angeles, my father took us home from Los Angeles.

Thanks,

William
San Diego, CA

:)

gbaileytx

RE: Riding the railroad from Abilene, 1

Post by gbaileytx »

Sure, the T&P ran passenger between Ft. Worth and El Paso at least through 1964. I rode it often in the 50's, as my father was a T&P brakeman and we had a pass. When I worked between El Paso and Big Spring in 1967-68, the passengers were gone. We ran one passenger extra in the summer of '67 - a circus train!
You would have detrained at El Paso Union Station and boarded the SP, probably the Sunset Limited, to LA.
Regards, George Bailey